Saturday, March 13, 2010

Marinated Olive, Red Pepper, and Artichoke Heart Salad


I can't remember exactly where I first came across this recipe,
or I'd credit it properly; I have modified it a bit to suit my tastes.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup Olive Oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 - 8 ozs. drained, quartered artichoke hearts
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
4 - 6 ozs. button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Blend first 6 ingredients in large bowl, mixing well.
2. Add remaining ingredients, tossing or stirring lightly to coat thoroughly.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
5. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

NOTES:

1. I sometimes also add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill to
the basil and parsley.
2. I frequently use baby portabella mushrooms rather than the
button mushrooms because I like the richer, meatier taste.
3. I prefer the Kalamata olives, but any sort of pitted olives will
work fine.
4. As with most salads of this sort, I find they gain in taste once
they've had 24 hours for the flavors to mingle thoroughly.


No comments:

Post a Comment