especially in cold weather such as we're having right now. This
is definitely something I'll be making again, and plan to experiment
with variants in the near future.
1 frozen deep-dish pie crust
3 medium yellow sweet onions
1 - 1 1/2 tblsp. butter
1 tblsp. Worchestershire sauce
6 - 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
2/3 c. Half & Half
1/2 - 1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 - 2 tblsp. fresh minced dill
1. Chop onions into medium-sized pieces; saute over medium heat
in butter and Worchestershire sauce until soft and goldenly transparent.
2. Mix eggs, Half & Half, salt, pepper, and dill, beating well.
3. Layer onions and Cheddar into pie shell, starting with onion layer
and ending with cheese layer.
4. Pour egg mixture over over onion-cheese layers.
5. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 45 - 60 minutes or until a knife
inserted into center emerges cleanly.
6. Serve hot.
1. I've seen versions of this recipe which use Swiss and/or Gruyere
cheese instead of Cheddar; I suspect all are equally good.
2. I actually used, instead of Half & Half, 1/3 c. of whole milk and
1/3 c. of heavy cream; I suspect that made this particular pie a bit
richer than the Half & Half would. I would think that a variety of
versions of milk and/or cream would work.
3. I think that next time I try this recipe, I'm going to use just 2 onions,
substituting 8 - 10 oz. of butter-sauteed Baby Portabella mushrooms
to fill out the mixture.
4. I'm also going to experiment next time with adding something like
some hot paprika, red pepper flakes, or some form of hot sauce just
to give the pie a bit of a kick, as I tend to like things that are a bit spicy.