2lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts 8 ozs. white mushrooms, chopped 1 medium shallot, finely chopped 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 tablespoon Worchestershire Sauce 1/4th cup butter & 2 -3 pats of butter 1 0.75 oz package of Italian salad dressing mix 1 10.75 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup 1/2 cup of dry white wine 4 ozs. of cream cheese with onions and chives (the tub variety works best)
Fresh chives, chopped for garnish
1. Sauté garlic and shallot in pats of butter with Worchestershire Sauce, then set aside; sauté mushrooms in butter and place in bottom of slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top.
2. Melt the half-cup of butter in a medium saucepan; stir in Italian dressing mix. Add mushroom soup, cream cheese, and wine; heat over medium heat and stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour over chicken; likewise pour sautéed shallot and garlic over as well.
3. Cook on low for 4 - 41/2 hours; serve over rice or noodles, sprinkled with fresh chives.
1. Sauté carrots, celery, onions, and garlic in oil in large saucepan for 6 or 7 minutes. Add 6 cups of broth and stir in black-eyed peas and herbs; heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes to one hour, until peas are almost done.
2. Add lentils and simmer, covered, 30 to 45 minutes, until peas and lentils are tender. Add additional broth if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
1. The soup holds over in the refrigerator for several days but thickens; add a small amount of broth when reheating.
2. A variant version calls for adding 10 ozs. of diced, fire-roasted tomatoes when the lentils are added.
3. A spicier version can be made by including a teaspoon of hot paprika, cayenne paper, or red paper flakes. Or one could use a deseeded and finely chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper or a fire-roasted Hatch pepper.
4. This is the vegan version of this soup; one could use chicken stock instead.